A condo-loft-townhouse project that incorporates a 1940 Mission Revival church building in Bouldin Creek is under way, and sales are brisk.
J. Bouldin Residences, at 211 West Johanna Street, comprises three separate buildings, one of which is the former church. The building is located between two contemporary new builds, currently under construction, and serves as a focal point for the project.
From 1967 until 2014, the building was home to a branch of the nonprofit Boys & Girls Club, which sold it for $2.75 million and relocated to East Austin. The Bouldin Creek Neighborhood Association did not object to a change in use for the property after the developer agreed to utilize the existing church building and work around several heritage trees on the property, which it appears to be doing.
The former church will be converted to lofts; one of the new buildings will be townhouses, while the other, called The Flats, will presumably be condos of some sort.
While it appears builders have just broken ground for the new buildings, the residences are already 70 percent sold, according website BuzzBuzzHome. The project was designed by Rhode Partners, which has a high profile in Austin, having also designed such buildings as The Catherine and The Independent.
• Bouldin Creek church hits the market for $2.2M [Curbed Austin]