clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Where Are All These New Austinites Coming From?

The usual and unusual suspects

If you've lived in Austin any length of time, you've no doubt heard, made, or been the object of complaints about how many people are moving here—many, for various reasons, assumed to be from California. While it's true that the population in Austin, and in Texas, continues to boom, the primary sources of the influx don't necessarily conform to stereotype.

According to a recent report from Austin-based storage location site SpareFoot, most new Austin residents—The majority—53.43%—came from within Texas, while the other 46.57% came from out of state. Topping the latter category were newcomers from Chicago, Los Angeles, and Phoenix (along with some births and immigration from other countries).

Sparefoot notes the Austin metro area population grew 3% from 2013 to 2014, according to the latest census figures. That means the population grew by 57,496 people, reaching a total population of 1.94 million.

Here are Sparefoot's lists of top 10 sources of new Travis County neighbors, based on those census reports.

To read more about Austin's population growth and get more information about moving to the city, click on the link below.

Movers from Texas:

1. Williamson County (Round Rock, Cedar Park, Georgetown)

2. Harris County (Houston)

3. Hays County (San Marcos)

4. Bexar County (San Antonio)

5. Dallas County

Movers outside of Texas:

1. Cook County, IL (Chicago)

2. Orange County, CA

3. Los Angeles County, CA

4. Maricopa County, AZ (Phoenix)

5. Providence County, RI

Where New Residents of Austin Are Moving From [Sparefoot]