Built in 1910, the Nagle House is a city historic landmark and, for the most part, looks it. Located on Judges Hill, it was originally home to the family of James C. Nagle, an early Austin businessman and chair of the state water board.
The home was later occupied by members of the Scarborough family, of local department store fame.
The main level of the 5,120-square-foot home features a large living room, formal dining room, a sunroom, and a study. On the second story are three large bedrooms and two bathrooms.
Things get a little weird in back, where a sunroom (possibly an original conservatory, possibly not) opens off the kitchen. There’s a mod spiral staircase in the middle, but it’s unclear what it leads to. The listing mentions a “full height, walk-out basement with plumbing for apartment,” and at least one photo—of a long-low-ceilinged room with a fireplace on one end—looks as if it might be part of that.
Whatever the case, there’s lots of space, and the home has many original architectural details, including narrow-plank oak floors, trim work, high ceilings, and tall, double-hung windows. There’s also a pool and hot tub in back.
• 1615 Pearl Street [Estately]