It’s a rare occasion when historic homes landmarked by the city of Austin turn up in the real estate listings. Even more rare is one, such as this Old West Austin specimen, that is restored in a way that honors its history while bringing a livable, sometimes whimsical character to the place.
Dubbed the Graham Bybee House—named its associations with Austin pharmacist James W. Graham and UT petroleum geologist Hal Bybew—the home was built in 1918 and is a notable example of the Prairie School architectural style popular in the 1920s. The stucco house has deep eaves and hipped, vented dormers on all four sides, as well as a round-arched, arcaded sunporch (now enclosed in glass) and a port cochère.
The 3,483-square-foot, two-story house has four bedrooms and three bathrooms. Its many restored features include hardwood floors, built-in book cases, cedar closets, a working fireplace, high ceilings, crown molding, and French doors.
The oak-shaded home also has a two-car carport and a fenced backyard with a playscape and gardens.
The main living areas feature a working fireplace, French doors, and wood floors.
A former sun porch, now enclosed, adds more common space and opens on to the backyard.
Upstairs bedrooms and bathrooms bring more whimsical style while retaining many original features.
In back is a private, fenced yard, patio, and shaded entertainment areas on the lawn.
• 1406 Enfield Road [Dave van Heuven, van Heuven Properties]