Located just north of the manically transitioning, mixed-use zones that stretch from East Seventh Street to the river, the historic Guadalupe neighborhood in Central East Austin has seen some massive changes in the past few decades—but not as many as it could have.
Thanks largely to the Guadalupe Neighborhood Development Corporation, the downtown-adjacent area has been able to maintain some reasonably priced rental and owner-occupied housing of both the single- and multifamily type. The Texas State Cemetery on its eastern border and the French Legation to the southwest serve as de facto green space, and Our Lady of Guadalupe Church serves as a touchstone and an active community space for some of the neighborhood’s longtime residents.
That doesn’t mean Austin’s luxury boom hasn’t touched the area, in the form of both condominiums such as the Tyndall at Robertson and large, single-family homes, both new and old (there’s also some relatively new, multifamily “middle housing” present in the form of market-rate apartments and condos). But it does mean such homes are often better integrated into the traditional fabric of the neighborhood.
An example of that old-new blend can be found in this multistory home, which was expanded from the original, 1915 stone house in 2013 and recently updated with modern-leaning interiors. At 2,459 square feet, with three bedrooms and three bathrooms, it seems palatial even before you get to the finished-out basement with a theater-type space full of additional possibilities.
Even more surprising (and also full of possibilities) is the presence of a 1940s era garage apartment on the property—one that sounds like it needs a total overhaul, but nevertheless holds the potential for a rental, which would add some housing variety back into the venerable neighborhood. The home is listed by Gill Agency at Compass.